This is a great, healthy weeknight meal that can be thrown together pretty quickly. If you have limited time buy pre-cut mushrooms, carrots, cabbage and broccoli for less prep and cleanup. I like to use veggie or chicken stock as the cooking liquid in the rice for a little more flavor. This is one of those dishes that is endlessly riffable (I know that’s not a real word, but aca-scuse me). Hate mushrooms? Change them up for diced zucchini. For a little protein add chicken, use shredded rotisserie if you’re short on time. Curry is a go to at our house because it is one of those dishes that is excellent re-heated for an easy work lunch the next day. Enjoy!
Veggie Coconut Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion medium dice
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 1 cup broccoli florets bite size
- 1 jalapeno sliced thin, seeds removed
- 1 cup carrots sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 cups stock vegetable or chicken
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat lite can be substituted if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- basmati or jasmine rice prepared according to package directions
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1T oil and 1T butter followed by the diced onion. Season with a little salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir to coat, sauté 2-3 more minutes until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Remove the mushrooms and onion mix and set aside on a plate.
- Add remaining oil and butter to the pan followed by the carrots, jalapeños and broccoli. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the chicken stock in the pan and allow to simmer 2-3 min while liquid reduces and veggies steam in the stock.
- Remove the carrot and broccoli mix with a slotted spoon, leaving the liquid in the bottom of the pan and set carrots and broccoli aside with the mushrooms and onions.
- Add curry paste, tomato paste and sriracha to pan then whisk in chicken stock a little at a time until combined. Pour coconut milk into the curry and stock mixture and whisk until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 4-5 minutes to reduce a bit.
- Add all sautéed veggies and shredded cabbage to the skillet of sauce and combine. Simmer 3-4 minutes to let all flavors combine.
- Serve over your choice of rice.
Tip: Serve this over sautéed riced cauliflower or zoodles for a low carb option.
Tip: You can substitute any of the veggies out for your preferred veggies or whatever you have on hand. Sliced bell peppers, diced sweet potatoes, zucchini, broccolini, etc. all are great in this recipe!
Katy’s life hack: If you’re short on time fill up on all your pre-cut veggies at the salad bar in your preferred grocery store. This will save you all the prep time and this dish will come together in a flash!
I love seeing photos when you make my recipes! Make sure to tag me @katyscookin on Instagram when you make this Veggie Coconut Curry. Thanks for stopping by!