If you’re doing “shelter in place” during this pandemic like we are, you are probably baking and cooking quite a bit more than usual. I don’t know about you, but if I’m going to be working while homebound with two tiny humans for days on end I am determined to fill this house with the scent of all our favorite comfort foods. These salted chocolate chip cookies smell AMAZING while baking, filling your home with scents of vanilla and sweet brown sugar.
For me, a good chocolate chip cookie never disappoints. These are yummy. They have deliciously crispy edges and soft, chewy centers, perfect for dunking in a cup of ice cold milk. They’re sweet and chocolaty with the perfect balance of salt.
DIY Slice and Bake Cookies
Like many “drop cookies” this dough is perfect for making your own slice and bake roll. I like to make the full recipe, scoop and bake half immediately and then roll up the remaining dough in plastic wrap to keep in the fridge. Whenever you want a perfectly gooey, fresh from the oven cookie, just slice off a 1/2 inch piece of the log and bake it as you would a whole batch. This is the perfect solution to keeping yourself from accidentally eating 4 cookies in one sitting which happens often in the days of quarantine.
Lay a piece of plastic wrap flat on the counter or on top of a flat plate. Scoop the dough into a log horizontally across the plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic wrap around the dough tightly and then twist the edges to form a log. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days slicing and baking cookies as you wish!
Mixing the dough
Making the dough is easy. You cream the butter and sugars together by beating it on high while using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer. This makes a light, airy, lump-free mixture. Next, add the eggs individually, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Then, mix in the vanilla. Add the baking soda, salt, baking powder and flour and mix to combine. Add the flour one cup at a time, mixing gently to minimize gluten development. Too much mixing will make for tough, dense cookies. Last, stir in both types of chocolate chips and you’re ready to scoop and bake!
How to soften butter quickly: It’s essential to use soft, room temperature butter when making this dough. If you forget to pull the butter out of the fridge before hand don’t worry, you can speed up the process. Fill a wide mouth glass or bowl with water and microwave it for 2 minutes. Carefully remove the glass from the microwave, dump out the water and use the hot cup to cover the stick(s) of butter while you prep all your other ingredients. The warm glass or bowl will slowly soften the butter without melting it.
How to measure flour for baking: First “fluff” the flour with a spoon or small scoop inside your flour container. Use a small measuring cup or spoon to scoop the flour into the correct measuring cup for your recipe. Once full, use a straight edge like a butter knife to level the flour across the top of the measuring cup. This ensures the correct amount of flour for your recipe and yields the best results in baked goods.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Flaky Salt
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment (optional)
- #20 scoop (optional)
- sheet pan
- parchment paper
- 2 sticks butter softened to room temp
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- flaky salt for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a hand mixer) cream the softened butter and both types of sugar until it is smooth and light in color.
- Add the eggs, one at a time with the mixer going, followed by the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix to combine.
- Slowly add in the flour, ½ a cup at a time with the mixer on the lowest setting. As soon as it is incorporated stop, you do not want to over-mix the batter.
- Using a metal or wooden spoon gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a spring loaded scoop or two spoons portion out golf ball size balls of dough 2 inches apart on parchment lined sheet pans.
- Bake at 350° for 13-16 minutes until just golden brown. Start watching the oven at 13 minutes to ensure you don't overcook the cookies as the time will vary based on your dough ball size.
- Sprinkle lightly with flakey salt immediately after removing from the oven.
I love seeing photos when you make my recipes! Make sure to tag me @katyscookin on Instagram when you make these Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies! Thanks for stopping by!