Coconut milk and curry are the stars of this spicy carrot soup. It is perfect on a cold day, comes together relatively quickly and reheats beautifully. This spicy soup is almost better after the flavors have had a chance to mingle in the fridge making it perfect to prep on a Sunday and have for lunch through out the week.
I started making this soup a couple years ago when the Whole Foods near me stopped keeping their Thai Carrot soup on the hot bar. It was one of my go-to’s for a quick pick up to take to the office for lunch. When I couldn’t find it in stock anymore, I decided to try my own take on it. I added a strong garlic kick and a little sweet potato for a velvety, smooth finish. This recipe is delicious and really is easy. If you have an immersion blender and everything can be done in the one stock pot clean-up is a breeze too.
Sauté onions, carrots and sweet potato in butter. Add in a little garlic, salt and pepper and let the veggies cook a little longer. Stir in the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender (or a stand blender) to pureé everything together and then whisk in the coconut milk and a little more salt and pepper and it’s ready to serve! Garnish with olive oil, some reserved coconut milk and a little cilantro (if you like it) and you’re a go to enjoy this delicious easy coconut curry soup!
Entertaining Tip: use a measuring cup to pour this soup into tall shot glasses for a delicious and easy pick-up appetizer. Sprinkle the top with a little chopped cilantro or chopped chives. Soup shooters are a great way to get a substantial vegetarian option on an hors d’oeuvres menu that everyone will love.
Thai Coconut Curry Carrot Soup
- immersion blender OR stand blender
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion rough chopped
- 4 oz red curry paste* (one small jar)
- 1 lb carrots peeped and sliced thin
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and medium dice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 4.5 cups stock chicken or veggie
- 13.5 oz full fat coconut milk (one can) reserving 1-2tbsp for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- olive oil for garnish
- In a medium stock pot melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add yellow onion and saute until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add curry and stir to combine. Let curry and onions cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and garlic. Stir to combine. Let cook an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently until garlic is fragrant.
- Add stock and turn heat down to medium low. Allow all ingredients to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat off and blend with an immersion blender. (If you don't have an immersion blender puree it in a stand blender in two batches and then return pureed contents to the stock pot.)
- Add the coconut milk and whisk to combine.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of the reserved coconut milk, fresh cilantro leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
I love seeing photos when you make my recipes! Make sure to tag me @katyscookin on Instagram when you make this Thai Carrot Soup! Thanks for stopping by!