Hangover food at it’s best always has a runny egg on top, if you ask me. This grilled cheese is just what the doctor ordered when you’ve over indulged the night before but don’t want to step foot in public. Smoked Gouda and sharp cheddar work perfectly with the crispy bacon, tangy sourdough bread and a runny egg.
It may sound strange but I promise, mayonnaise mixed with parmesan creates a delicious buttery and crunchy crust. Layer the sliced cheese and crispy bacon on the inside, slather the parmesan and mayo mix on the outside of each sandwich and they’re ready to grill.
While the sandwich heats through and develops a great golden brown crust, cook up a quick fried or sunny side-up egg and you’re set.
I like to cook my bacon in the oven, mainly because it limits the lingering bacon smell that inevitably hangs around. Lay bacon slices flat on foil lined sheet pans in an even layer and bake at 350 for 13-17 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove bacon and allow the rendered fat to cool and solidify before tossing the foil, making cleanup a breeze.
This is a messy one so I’d suggest using a fork and knife!
Tip: If you’re feeling exceptionally lazy you can crisp up your bacon in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate with a couple paper towels on top to catch the spatter. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, check for preferred doneness and add additional time in 30 second increments if necessary.
Life Hack: When we have house guests I like to prep breakfast the night before so I can put a great meal together without any stress or a lot of clean-up. You can assemble these sandwiches completely the night before and store in gallon size zip top bags in the fridge. Pull them out when you’re up and all that is left to do is throw them in the skillet and then make your quick fried eggs to put on top. Easy (possibly hungover) entertaining!
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise I like Primal Kitchen
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
- 6-9 pieces bacon cooked crispy
- 9 slices smoked gouda deli slices
- 9 slices sharp cheddar deli slices
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Assembling grilled cheeses
- Mix 2 tbsp mayonnaise with 2 tbsp grated parmesan and set aside.
- Line up sourdough bread slices in pairs to fill.
- Arrange 3 slices of gouda on top of one slice of each sourdough pair.
- Top with the bacon, breaking it into pieces that fit the bread size.
- Top the bacon with 3 slices of sharp cheddar and then sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top of the sharp cheddar.
- Close each of the three sandwiches with its sourdough pair.
- Spread the mayonnaise and parmesan mix on the outside sides of each of the assembled sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet to medium and place your sandwiches in the skillet once hot. Top the skillet with a lid or a piece of foil and let sandwiches sit undisturbed 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the sandwiches and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until bread is golden and crusty and the cheese has melted.
- Remove sandwiches and let them rest on a cutting board or plate while you cook the egg.
Frying the eggs
- Put 2 tbsp of oil in the hot skillet. Crack an egg in the oil and tilt the pan to one side while the egg cooks. Using a spoon, scoop up the hot oil and drizzle it on the top of the egg to cook the top of the egg white while the bottom becomes crispy and lightly browned. Cook the egg like this for 3-4 minutes, until you reach your preferred done-ness and then place the egg on top of one of the grilled cheeses. Repeat steps to cook the remaining eggs and top the remaining sandwiches.
I love seeing photos when you make my recipes! Make sure to tag me @katyscookin on Instagram when you make this Ultimate Breakfast Grilled Cheese! Thanks for stopping by!