During this Pandemic I think everyone is doing what they can to stretch groceries as far as possible. This easy veggie frittata is a great way to use up leftovers and create a new meal out of scraps. I had a little bit of both roasted cauliflower florets and sautéed zucchini in the fridge that I used for the bulk of my frittata. I also added a couple of diced cherry tomatoes, the end of our shredded jack cheese and a sprinkle of shaved parmesan.
This is one of those recipes that can be adapted to so many different leftovers. It would be great with the addition of any leftover protein chopped into small pieces. You could use frozen hash browns or tater tots as the base if you don’t have leftovers. You can sauté any raw veggies you need to use up. Wilted greens are perfect for a frittata, just sauté them in a bit of oil or butter and then continue with the eggs, half and half, seasonings and shredded cheese. The options are endless!
How to Make a Frittata
Start by pre-heating your oven to 350°. Next, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and grated cheese. Then, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add your chopped roasted veggies (or whatever you are using as the base). Heat the veggies in 1tbsp of olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until just heated through. If you are starting with raw veggies you’ll want to use a bit more oil and cook them to your desired done-ness. Next, turn off the heat under the skillet. Add the egg and cheese mixture and shake the pan to evenly distribute it through out the veggie base. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350° while you sip your coffee in peace (ideally) and breakfast does its thing in the oven.
Inverting a Frittata
To invert the frittata for serving place a sturdy plate over the top of the skillet. Use hot pads to hold the pan and plate and flip the frittata upside down to invert it on to the plate. Next, place a second plate over the frittata to sandwich it between both plates. Turn it over once more so the top is now right side up. Slice and serve.
Easy Veggie Frittata Video Tutorial
I posted a quick video tutorial on instagram, you can check it out here:
Easy Veggie Frittata
- 8.5" non-stick skillet
- 1 cup roasted veggies I used roasted zucchini, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tbsp half and half or non-dairy substitute
- 1/3 cup grated cheese your preference
- 2 tbsp shaved parmesan optional
- S & P
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir in grated cheese and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted veggies (or whatever you are using as the filling) and cook 2-3 minutes until just heated through (longer if you are starting with raw veggies).
- Turn off the heat under the skillet. Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the hot veggies and jiggle the skillet to evenly distribute the egg mix.
- Sprinkle the shaved parmesan over the top and immediately transfer the skillet to the hot oven.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes until the middle is set.
I love seeing photos when you make my recipes! Make sure to tag me @katyscookin on Instagram when you make this Easy Veggie Frittata! Thanks for stopping by!